PRRES 2009 Conference
The PRRES 2009 conference held in Sydney over 18 – 21 January 2009 was an outstanding success and continued the tradition of informative, friendly and supportive PRRES conferences.
156 delegates attended the conference held at the UTS campus in Sydney. A strong international representation from over 15 countries attended, including a group from Tanzania representing the African Real Estate Society. Over 100 papers were presented in a wide range of property research areas including housing, property investment, valuation, property development, sustainability and property education.
Highlights of the conference included:
· Bob Hargreaves presenting an excellent opening keynote address on housing research
· John MacFarlane receiving the 2009 PRRES Achievement Award
· Industry Day, with Barry Brakey from the Australian Government Future Fund presenting an excellent opening session, as well as all other industry speakers giving quality presentations. Thank you to Anthony DeFrancesco for putting this important part of the PRRES program together
· PRRES Case Competition involving seven teams of property students from various universities competing. This was a highly successful initiative by PRRES and all groups represented themselves very well. Congratulations to the University of Southern California team as the winning team and the UTS team as the runner-up
· Best refereed conference papers were awarded to Andrea Blake and Connie Susilawati for their paper on “Property education: an evaluation of how well students are prepared for commencing their careers” and Nelson Chan for his paper on “Revisiting valuation of contaminated land in Australia”
· Successful PhD Colloquium, with seven PhD presentations; this session being well attended and with supportive feedback. Zaharah Manaf and Abdul Jalil Omar received the 2009 PRRES PhD scholarships
· Conference dinner on Sydney Harbour boat cruise, with wonderful weather and company
· Property Education Forum sponsored by the API and Property Research Forum sponsored by the RICS
· Strong support from the PRRES conference sponsors; API, RICS, PINZ, Estate Master, Colonial First State, IPD, Mercer, ADPIA and Emerald; thank you.
Thank you to Hera Antoniades (UTS) for making the PRRES conference registration process, venue facilities and support services at UTS work so well and to Lina Gong (UWS) for handling all of the conference administrative arrangements regarding the academic program. Both Hera and Lina did a wonderful job; thank you.
Thank you also to all PRRES conference delegates for providing an excellent conference environment and supporting property research in the Pacific Rim. We look forward to the next PRRES conference in Wellington, New Zealand in January 2010.
2009 PRRES Conference Organisers